Saturday, October 21, 2006

Where is my family, I am lonely?

The long weekend has started, just wondering how many will be there for this Sunday worship service as all the students have made the exodus back home. Suddenly I am overwhelmed by the loneliness in my own study praying and reviewing my sermon for tomorrow. Where is my extended family? Is there a glue to hold the family together? Yes surely yes! The "it" of that oft-voiced sentiment may be a place, a person or even a tradition. But whatever the "glue", it is certain to be something that the whole family shares in common. Christian too are members of a family. And the glue that holds this diverse family together is the Holy Spirit. I am glad I still have the family no matter where they are, thus I can sigh with relief that I am never alone, they are linked together with me through our Lord. The more important one is, I am in His family...He is my FATHER. O God I am link and hook up with YOU.
The word "communion" signifies "having in common." It is used of our fellowship with one another and with God. The bond of such fellowship is always through the Holy Spirit. The blessed Spirit unites the Person of the Trinity to each other, and us to them, and secures the oneness for which our Saviour prayed.
How wonderful it is to have the privilege of this divine fellowship! That we need never be alone again; that we can at any moment turn to Him for direction; that we may draw on His resources for every need; that it is impossible to exhaust His willingness to counsel and sustain; that there is no service or suffering into which He is not prepared to enter with us! Surely, if we would but give ourselves time to realize these marvelous privileges, there would be no room for the despondency which threatens to deprive us of hope.
Such divine union as lies within our reach certainly demands on our part watchfulness, a tender conscience, a yielded will, and a heart which has no other love, nothing that is inconsistent with the Spirit's fellowship.
"May the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you all" 2 Corinthians 13:14. God bless you all.

2 comments:

gail said...

Hi Longsufering, you write

"I am glad I still have the family no matter where they are, thus I can sigh with relief that I am never alone, they are linked together with me through our Lord."

The family extends farther than those of your fellowship who have gone home for the holidays. It is a worldwide family!!! You are not alone. Both the Lord and the fellowship of believers world wide is with you!!

I will pray that you know the closeness of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ today.

Gail

longsuffering said...

Gail, thanks for visiting me and for your encouragment.