Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Spititual fatigue

Where can I go from Your Spirit? Where can I flee from Your presence? The last few days I have been reading of so many heart tearing struggles seemingly out in the blogsite. I remember an old hymn -
Art thou weary, art thou liguid,
Art thou sore distress?
"Come to Me", saith One, "And coming Be at rest."
Hath He marks to lead me to Him
If He be my Guide?
In His feet and hands are wound-prints,
And His side.
Finding, following, keeping, struggling,
Is He sure to bless?
Saints, apostles, prophets, martyrs,
Answer, "Yes".
As I read this and the many postings there was a silent sigh in my heart, a twinge of spiritual fatigue...... a deep and abiding weariness. Why Lord do you permits us to go through all this? Lord I want to join the crowd and wave the white flag, shouting, "I surrender! I give up!" I have decided to bail out, to throw in the towel, to give into discouragement and give up. There is nothing wrong with that or is it?
Our pace, the noise, the interruptions, the deadlines and demands, the daily schedule and the periodic feelings of failure. I am getting very weary of the fight, of the constant bombardment and shelling targeted into my life, hey I did not ask to be in a war zone?
I was brought back to earth as I remember Paul writing in Ephesians 2:14, "For He Himself is our peace" and the very word of our Lord in Matthew11:28 " Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. for My yoke is easy and My burden is light."
There is nothing wrong with feeling weary, but there is everything wrong with abandoning ship in the midst of the storm. Growing weary is only natural and the consequence of many experiences, they are not bad but exhausting. Many of the things we go through maybe fine with many others but as for us our strength has its limit, we are make different. Before long the fatigue will cuts our feet out from beneath us. The longer the weariness lingers, the more we face the danger of that weary condition clutching our inner man, strangling our hope, our motivation, our spark, our optimism, even our encouragement. Oh how I want to "sustain this weariness" As I mediated on the passage I had a new understanding that God does not dispense strength and encouragement like a doctor filling out a prescription for our sickness. The Lord does not promise to give us something to take so we can handle our weary moments. He promises HIMSELF. That is all and that is enough. In the place of our exhaustion and spiritual fatigue, He will give us rest. All He asks is that we come to Him, that we spend a while thinking about Him, meditating on Him, talking to Him, listening in silence , occupying ourselves in Him totally and thoroughly lost in the hiding place of His presence. "Consider Him..... so that you will not grow weary and lose heart" (Hebrews 12:3).
Don't lose heart! Are you weary? Heavy laden? Distressed? Come to our Lord. Come immediately, come repeatedly, come boldly, give Him your load of care and be at rest. God bless you.

No comments: