Thursday, October 19, 2006

Pleasing God!

Sin has a subtle way of taking hold of us. Sometimes it is almost parasitic, slowly maturing until it encrusts our heart with its deadly growth. Each day has its own challenges, responsibilities and problem. Each can be faced only one at a time. How I want to hear your voice so as not to harden my heart in order to encourage others.
We may get the things which tempt our desires; and there will be no illusion at all about the reality of the pleasure. But another question must to be asked. "You have received the things you wanted; what then? Are you much the better for it? Is it as good as it looked when it was not yours?
"Is it as blessed now that you have stretched your hand and make it your own as it seemed when it danced there on the other side? "Having attained the desire, do we not find that it fails to satisfy us fully?
Lord I want to please you, teaches me how to avoid sin. Help me to listen carefully whenever You speak to me through its pages. Cause me to encourage my brothers and sisters in Christ and to draw strength from their example and fellowship. Above all, Lord, grant me a soft, teachable heart, one that beats strongly for You, one that will not be enticed by worldly pleasure. Lord, keep my heart focused on pleasing You.

5 comments:

XclusivelyHisOwn said...

Yes, Yes! Good post. I think if we make that our priority - to please Him, all else falls into place.

I'll tell you why.

I recently read the book of Esther under the view of obedience and worship and it changed my life. She had nothing, no parents, but yet her distant uncle took her in.

The major turning point after a yr of prep was that when it was her turn to go to the King, she consulted the King's counsel and brought to him, the things that He liked.

THe book of esther is so small and reads so fast, but I encourage you to take another look at it. Its more than just a "I'm moving on up" story, its actually speaks volumes.

In Christ,

Irreligious Philosopher said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Irreligious Philosopher said...

Yes sin is a real thing in life.
I once heard a preacher say he said this prayer offen time "O God before I blow it take me home" I adopted this prayer to my own life.
I rather die as a failure in heaven than die as successful in hell. Only God's grace that can keep us from our folly.

longsuffering said...

Abiding in Christ, indeed it is an amen. I will look into the book of esther again and see may draw some thought for my next sermon as i have been thinking on thelineof obedience. Thank you

longsuffering said...

Ow! that is it resuscitate, He must be please with you. Only recently i read the survey from NECF newsletter and the comment is that there not many committed Christian today in where I am, Malacca, so sad. The world has eaten into us and God is only for convience, where we even shut Him in behind church door after each sunday service only to bring Him out the next sunday.