Monday, November 13, 2006

Unity, unity....much used and said word!!!!!!!

Yesterday we had a visiting speaker to take the pulpit ministry, the needed break I long for so much, praise GOD!.

He was sharing about unity in prayer, and I was only pondering over this subject as I was asked to meet up with a fellow pastor who seemingly felt that I have encroached into the so called turf as I reached out to some unsaved students in the local university. I was asking God why all these issues, are we not to have Kingdom mentality. Hey there are thousands of students out there and I am only searching and reaching out to the non Christian. My heart wrenched out in pain as I seek the Lord.
I thank God for revealing to me, to lift me up again as I read His words, "So we all agreed... it seemed good to the Holy Spirit and to us not to burden you with anything beyond the following requirements" (Acts 15:25, 28).

Controversy among churches is nothing new. Where two or three are gathered together, there we will find difference of opinion, but sad that church would spend so much time in debate...that has more people trying to fix blame than are trying to fix the problem.

Consider His word "It seemed good to the Holy Spirit and to us." Communion with Christ by the Holy Spirit lies at the very root of that expression. Also, an outcome of this is the unity of the church by the Spirit. And finally there is the unanimity of the Spirit and the church. This picture of the council in Jerusalem is that of a company of men and women, sharing the life of Christ, desiring only to know the mind of the Lord, having no selfish views for which to contend. These are the conditions upon which it is possible for any such assembly to say, "It seemed good to the Holy Spirit and to us." Can the church say this today? Hey I am not judging but what can I say as I want only to do His work in that vast mission field. Can we come to unanimity when we are prepared to discuss our absolute difference freely and frankly, not my turf and your turf but on the basis of common desire to know the mind of the Lord.

God I surrender it to you for it is not the colour of the curtains but the quality of the commitment to Christ that makes your church effective, the church which you have give me shepherd.

2 comments:

Lizzie said...

I was equally frustrated with the action of the fellow pastor. It hurts me every time Christians instead of standing in unity began to pick on the petty stuff.

However, know that the Lord is your vindicator. :) Sometimes we don't have to answer to certain accusation of other people. As long as God say it is okay, we shall plough on. :)

longsuffering said...

Thanks lizzie for your encouragement.